Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Anybody there>?

Here! Here!

Everyone has been inquiring about where 30 Silent Mockingbirds has been hiding. The answer: researching,  sleeping, printing, thinking, staring, sketching, reading, reading, reading.
When Mockbrd began it was just hanging out in the nest, kinda peeking over the edge to see what was out there. Like a test of ideas. Is this what I want to do? Where will I find the time? Where will I find the funds? Will anyone even appreciate it? Then I creeped up to the side of the edge and realized I had to just jump and figure out how to fly fast.
Here is my little secret: I have a full time job. Like one where I work somewhere else that isnt 30 Silent Mockingbirds. I know, I know, I'm not supposed to admit that as an artist. It kinda kills that whole Starving Artist Romanticism thing. I mean... you aren't a legit artist till you can say "self employed" right? Oops, I guess I wasnt supposed to tell you that I have a separate job to pay the bills (for now). However, it IS my dream, does that count? I AM a starving artist! I am STARVING to be myself.. I am STARVING to create. I am STARVING to fly on my own. But alas, I am not there yet, I have a mortgage, I'm a single mom to a five year old,  there is that whole insurance thing, and the cat, and the dog, and the fence, and the and the and the....
So back to "where have I been"..
The success (at least what I find it) of Mockbrd smacked me in the face at the busiest time of the year at my "day job" in addition to life busy as it is in general: Christmas. I didn't sleep for two months! So I ended up taking a month off to rest, move my studio, and to evaluate. Then I took another month to research.

I did so many more things last year than I had planned on:

1. Started 30 Silent Mockingbirds
2. Produced over 30 variations of block prints
3. Actually added items to My Etsy Store 
4. Made a  Facebook Page
5. Entered the Instagram world
6. Joined Pinterest 
7. Crashed in to Twitter (kinda)
8. Started this Blog 
9. Somehow made all those things connect together
10. Was Scouted by Scout Mob Shoppe
11. Threw a few custom orders into the mix
12. Survived my first online Christmas
13. Did my first art walk
14. Ate a lot of candy
15. Showed myself to the world (eeks! and by far the hardest)

So here I am now in March refreshed and ready to jump back into things. I have a little list of things I want to accomplish this year

1. More designs! (duh)
2. Shows. So far I will be at The Full Moon Tattoo and Horror Convention (random? yes.)
 and First Fridays In Florence. More to come...
3. Legitness. Like boring business stuff.
4. Website.TADA!!!!!:  www.30silentmockingbirds.com Click and there is nothing? Yea, I didn't say it was actually working.
5. Par-tay! So excited about this one. Kinda like a "Grand Opening" party at 30 Silent Mockingbirds to show off the studio "theRoost", have all the artist friends over for a yART sale, AND celebrate with friends, wine, art, and happiness!

So excited about this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment